So what do you do when you have the second blizzard of the year (which has never happened in the history of our weather!)? Why you make chicken tortilla soup, of course!
I wanted to make something easy and delicious that I could just put into the crockpot and go about my day of binge viewing the tv show Once Upon a Time, reading, writing, and unfortunately, shoveling. SO I did some internet searching for just the right recipe (most are the similar) and I found this one from Heather Likes Food:
- 1 can (15oz) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10 oz) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- 1 can (14.5 oz) black beans, drained
- 10 oz frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, avocado for serving
- Combine all ingredients except for the cilantro and lime juice in a slow-cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from soup, shred into bite-sized pieces and return to soup.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, and avocado if desired.
And this is how the process looked:
I did add a pinch of red pepper flakes and a splash of hot sauce. It already smells so good and I took a broth sample and it was delicious! I can’t wait to try it later! I will be sure to post pictures of the finished product that I plan on topping with sour cream and cheese.
Happy Eating! And to all of my friends weathering the Blizzard, please stay safe and warm at home. ❤